Sunday, June 24, 2012

Ombre Nails {Tested}





I love the look of these ombre nails that I found on Pinterest:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/31-insanely-easy-and-clever-diy-projects

The 5-step concept seemed simple enough:
  1. Choose 2 colors.
  2. Paint your nails using 1 of the 2 colors.
  3. Pour a dab of each and mix in the middle with a toothpick or something similar.
  4. Use a sponge dipped in the mixture and dab it on your nails.
  5. Wipe off the excess.

Following the directions, this is what I found:
  1. I chose mint and turquoise.
  2. I painted the base mint...if you do this, choose the lighter of the two colors as the base.
  3. I didn't find the mixing necessary.  I found it worked better if you just used a little of the darker color to dab at the top to the middle of the nail.  
  4. DO NOT use anything other than sponge.  I couldn't find one at first and used a makeup remover pad and toilet paper.  Both of them left fibers in my polish and I had to start over.  I ended up using a sponge curler {Shhh!!  Don't tell my daughter.}  The sponge soaks up a lot of polish....you will need to use a lot of the darker color to get good results.  I also wasn't a fan of the texture it left on my nails. Maybe a different type of sponge would leave a smooth texture.  The clear coat helps with this though.
  5. I didn't have a lot of excess.  I was pretty careful with the dabbing.
I gave this Pin 3 stars.  I think it was a little too much work for the results I got.  They were pretty, but I'm fairly sure no one would notice that they are "ombreish" unless they got up close and personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment